page contents

What is Carbon Monoxide? Carbon Monoxide is a gas that is produced when carbon based fuels are not burned properly, such as natural gases like oil, wood, coal, and liquefied petroleum. They can also include fossil fuel burning appliances such as stoves, boilers, open fires and even BBQ’s can be known to let off carbon monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide is known as the “silent killer”, this is because it is colourless, odourless and even tasteless, but this can be extremely dangerous if it is not dedicated. When Carbon Monoxide comes into contact with humans or even animals, once in contact the gases can prevent blood from transporting oxygen around their bodies which can then lead to cell and tissue damage and sometimes can even result in death.

What are the symptoms? As this is known as the silent killer, the symptoms cannot always be detected making the gas even more dangerous. However, some symptoms can be mistaken such as nausea, breathlessness or even tiredness and erratic behaviour. Depending on the length of time the carbon monoxide has been in effect the symptoms can move to more severe symptom such as dizziness, loss of balance, headaches which can cause you to lose consciousness and sometimes even death. It has been known that the smaller the person or animal the quicker the CO can work into the bloodstream so it is extremely important that should you be pregnant, have a baby, a pet or even suffer from heart conditions, it is essential that you have an alarm installed for peace of mind.

How to prevent it: Because Carbon Monoxide cannot be detected easily, it is crucial that you do not attempt to carry out the work yourself when installing appliances, these must always be installed by an OFTEC professional. You must also have installed a Carbon Monoxide alarm to keep both you and your household safe.

We are here to help:  Here at Suffolk Oil Solutions we value the safety of our customers, so we will be happy to discuss any of your questions or needs further.

Please contact us directly today with any enquiries or to purchase a carbon monoxide alarm.