Experts claim that on average, an oil tank can last up to fifteen years if it is well maintained and regularly checked. In order to keep your tank looking healthier for longer we highly recommend keeping on-top of your services to avoid any damage to the tank.
We recommend an annual service to help keep your tank well maintained.
Recently moved into a house that has an existing oil tank: If you have recently brought a house or moved into the property and there is an existing oil tank on the grounds, the first thing you should do if you have not done this already is to have that tank inspected.
Even if it looks to be running fine, to the untrained eye, there could be underlining issues which could result in a tank replacement. If you are unsure then please feel free to contact us directly and we will be happy to help.
Checks you can do before calling us:
- Check for cracks and splits on plastic tanks – To prevent cracks and damage to your tank, keep it well sheltered.
- Check for rust or bubbling paint on metal tanks – This can be caused from water, snow or other exterior factors.
- Check the environment around your tank – Be sure there is no undergrowth, trees or other obstacles to prevent damage
Be sure to get in touch to book your annual tank service with us, and if you have any problems with your oil tank or oil boiler please do not hesitate to contact us.
We have come up with some quick tips to help keep your tank maintained during the summer season…
- Visually check your tank regularly for rust, splits, cracks, a strong oil smell, uneven base etc.
- Keep vegetation cut back and do not allow it to grow around your oil tank or pipework.
- Be extra careful when digging in the garden as the oil line could be running underground.
- Metal or steel tanks need annual painting, we recommend using something like Hammerite or metal paint to preserve their life.
- Report any leaks or spills – You can find our details for this on the welcome page, just scroll down and you will find the details to contact us – call us immediately if you think your tank or oil line is leaking. Try to contain any oil to prevent it going into soil or watercourse.
- Tank removal and safe disposal – We can assist with this you can find the details on the “” page
Battle of the sludge build up
During the summer months, humidity and condensation can build up within your tank therefore causing corrosion and damage to your tank.
When a tank is not filled up to the top (but still allowing for expansion space), condensation is created from air within the top of the tank. This creates moisture which is an ideal environment for growth of bacteria. The bacteria then creates sludge which is one of the biggest reasons for failure of oil tanks. While condensation cannot be eliminated, it can be reduced by making sure that your oil storage tank is kept topped up.
Consider refilling before it is too late
In order to keep a well-maintained tank, we advise you to refill at the end of each heating season. Some may feel this is an unneeded necessity, however, there are perks to doing this such as:
- SAVE MONEY ON OIl PRICES – You can save more money with purchasing off-season fuel. It is a known fact that oil prices tend to be the lowest during the warmer months. By ordering oil in advance, you can spend less to fill up your tank.
- SAVE MONEY SPENT ON YOUR BOILER – By keeping your tank topped up, you could prevent running out and having to have an engineer bleed it through once you have had a new delivery. This could also save ££s on boiler breakdowns and repairs.
- SAVE TIME – Order now to save on delivery time. The Winter rush would have slowed right down for a speedy delivery time.
Schedule your annual Tank maintenance
To keep your tank and filters in tip top condition, we advise you to book in your annual service. Contact us at email@example.com
If you have any queries regarding the condition of your tank including cracks and splits, please contact us directly for any help and guidance and to book in for a maintenance check.
What else do we do?
- Boiler servicing and breakdowns
- Boiler installations
- Emergency oil tank pump outs
- Oil tank installation and replacement
- Oil tank disposals
- Oil tank Maintenance
The new legislation’s and how we plan to protect you
In these uncertain times and with the new guidelines and restrictions that have been put into place through the Government in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19, we wanted to reassure you that we are taking every measure possible to maintain the safety of our customers as well as undertaking work to the highest standard by following the guidelines as stated:
- Keeping a minimum of 2m apart between us and the customer.
- Washing our hands frequently, wearing gloves and disposing of them correctly.
- Wiping down all surfaces with a sanitiser and keeping a clean environment throughout any job carried out.
What if work needs to be carried out inside my home? Should any work be carried out inside the home, we will be sure to follow the protocol:
- When we book an appointment and before we visit any site, we will call to confirm prior to entering the property, whether anyone is self-isolating or in quarantine or has been in contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID19 and to make sure that all procedures are followed correctly as stated above.
During this time, we have put new measures in place where we aim to reassure all customers whose homes we visit to remain inside their homes during the work that is carried out outside unless stated otherwise. We ask that the engineer is not in the same room within the house as you.
We also ask if the engineer can enter the house via the nearest exit to the area we need to work in so that they do not need to travel through your house more than is necessary.
What happens if we are under quarantine or have symptoms? If you have any symptoms no matter how mild you must let us know as soon as possible. No work would be carried out in any household who is isolating or where an individual is at risk.
Should you need urgent assistance such as emergency breakdowns or repairs, then please contact us directly to find out more for guidance, help and support.
Join our mailing list - for useful info & news
Click here to view
We are looking for a local trustworthy person with a full driving licence to work from our Wickhambrook based business (CB8 8UN). The role includes: boiler servicing, breakdowns, installs and tank installs. Salary negotiable to the right person with a company van and...
Our positive feedback and reviews speak volumes. Why not check us out here!
Essential Checks for your Oil Tank this Winter Check your oil tank now! “The Environment Agency is urging people to check their storage tanks for leaks to protect the environment and reduce the risk of potentially large financial losses.” This is a real risk to both...
See these handy Oftec guides for homeowners: https://www.oftec.org/consumers/consumer-home-guides
Suffolk Oil Solutions Services
our area covers much of: Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambs, Essex, and Herts Check you are in our service area here